There were 47 people in attendance at this month’s meeting. That number included six guests and our presenter.
Scott McCartney, of Franklin International, maker of Titebond Glue, gave a presentation about the Titebond products. Below are some examples of the Titebond products that he discussed.
- Titebond Original: It is the industry standard for general woodworking applications and it is sandable. Has a 4-6 minute open time.
- Titebond Original Extend: It is a slower setting version of the original wood glue.
- Titebond II Premium: #1 selling wood glue for exterior and interior use and it is water resistant. It does not sand well.
- Titebond III Ultimate: Has superior strength for interior and exterior applications and it creates a waterproof bond.
- Titebond Quick & Thick: This multi-surface interior glue doesn’t run, is 2X faster and 3X thicker than traditional glues, it dries clear and is paintable.
At the end of his presentation, Mr. McCartney gave samples of some of the Titebond products to Club members. You can find more information about Titebond products at – www.Titebond.com.
Presentation of Award
Club President Joe Mannke presented the Outstanding Member Award to John Slezak for his many contributions and continued support of the Florida West Coast Woodworkers Club. The generous donation of his time and efforts are greatly appreciated. Congratulations John!
Business Meeting and Announcements
David James, with Advantage Lumber, announced that there will be a “Tool Exchange” event at their facility next Wednesday, May 17th, beginning at 4:30 pm. This event is a joint endeavor with the Sarasota Wood Turners Club. It will include a tour of the Advantage Lumber facilities, refreshments and the Tool Exchange. Advantage Lumber will also have special sales on different types of wood including Purpleheart and Zebrawood. He also asks that we visit FaceBook and “Like” them or leave a note.
Tom Falcone, President of the Sarasota Wood Turners, invites everyone to attend the Tool Exchange. They have been holding the Tool Exchange for a couple of years and people come from different areas of Florida from Central Florida to Ft. Myers. He does ask, though, that we let him know if we are coming so that they can plan how many tables to set up for folks selling/ buying used tools and how much food to plan for refreshments.
Wood & Tool Show Coordinator needed. Terry Bair has done a great job for the past six plus years, coordinating our participation in the Wood & Tool Show held in Tampa each year, and now it is time for someone else to take a turn. Please contact our Club President, Joe Mannke, if you are interested in volunteering.
A reminder –
- Club DVD library – see Terry Bair to check out any informational and/or how-to DVDs.
- Club shirts for sale – see Tony D’Alberto
Club Board Meeting – Notes:
- New Hour – Beginning with the May meeting, from 6:30 to 7:00 pm Club members can come together for 60 minutes before the meeting begins to socialize and/or look at and purchase wood. We are calling it “Happy Hour”
- Welcome Letter – This will be sent to all “new” club members and will contain club information, what the club is about, events and club happenings.
Welcome Committee – This committee will be comprised of 3 Club members -one for the south end of our area (Martin Cole), one for the North end of our area (Al Brown), and one for the Middle of our area (position still open and looking for a volunteer). The Committee members’ job will be to contact and visit “new” club members, inform them about the club and its events, and learn a little about them and their wood working interests and needs.
- Biography Letter – This will help us to get to know a little more about our Club members.
- Mentoring – If there are members, both current and new, that would like to know more about a specific wood skill, they can be paired up with a member mentor to help them learn more about the skill.
- Demonstration Meet (Monday, May 15 on Scroll sawing) at Terry Bair’s shop – 4844 Three Oak Blvd, Sarasota, FL at 7:00 pm. In this two-part series on scroll sawing, Terry will demonstrate how to use and secure patterns, look at the different types of blades and how they are used and go over some cutting tips and techniques. Bring a chair. Part 2 in this series will be held on June 19.
- Shop Meet (Monday, May 22) is at Doug Farley’s shop at Hidden River near Myakka City – at 7:00 pm. Bring a chair. Look for more information on this in your e-mail.
Quarterly Show & Tell drawing (Jan. – Mar.): Joe Mathis
Raffle: Tony Laughlin, Jason Owens and Al Bibbero
Drawing: Alan Brown, Bob Eslinger, Jim Roland, Floyd Yoder, Steven Wertheimer, Stan Nikkel and Daryl Walters.
Meeting adjourned at 9:00 pm.
Next Month’s Meeting – June 14, 2017 at 7:00 p.m. at Advantage Lumber.