Florida Westcoast Woodworkers Club
Meeting October 11, 2017
Joe Mannke, Club President, started the meeting at 7:00 pm. He welcomed everyone and asked for those that were first time guests to introduce themselves. There were 40 people present, 37 members and three first time guests (Norm Stabiwski, Leo Drozdowsky and Jim Polaski), at this month’s meeting.
“Intarsia – Part 1 (What is Intarsia and Beginning Steps)”: Presented by Joe Mathis, intarsia and scroll saw artist. Intarsia is a type of woodworking technique that uses different shapes, sizes and species of wood fitted together like a puzzle to create a picture that shows depth. Steps to create intarsia: 1. Select pattern, 2. Select wood according to color and grain pattern, 3. Cut, shape and finish wood pieces, and 4. Assemble wood pieces and finish. Next month is Intarsia – Part 2: Creating works of Art.
We will have a video of Joe’s whole presentation available on the web soon. We will send a link to everyone via email.
Shop Meets & Demonstration Meets – People Needed: We are looking for someone to host the November Shop Meet. Please contact Joe Mannke or Rick Anderson if you are interested.
Demonstration Meet (Monday, October 16): Denny Wetter, at 7:00 p.m. His address is – 2306 141st Street East, Bradenton, FL. Off of S.R. 64 east and Rye Road. His topic is construction of segmented bowls. Bring a chair and insect repellant.
Shop Meet (Monday, October 23): Joe Mannke, at 7:00 p.m. His address is – 40050 Ballard Road, Myakka City. It is off S.R. 70 and Wauchula Road. Bring a chair and insect repellant.
A reminder –
• Club DVD library – see Terry Bair to check out any informational and/or how-to DVDs.
• Club shirts for sale – see Tony D’Alberto
• Happy Hour – 6 to 7 p.m. is a time to socialize and purchase that special piece of wood from Advantage Lumber.
– Election of New Officers takes place in December. We have a nomination for the position of Vice-president, but are still looking for someone to take the place of Club Secretary. Contact Joe Mannke, Club President, with your suggestions.
Next Month’s Presentation – Intarsia – Part 2 by Joe Mathis. This will be part two of a two-part serie. Part 1 was What is intarsia and some tricks and tips; Part 2 Creating intarsia works of art. You won’t want to miss this fun and educational presentation!
• December 13, 2017: Holiday Dinner Party/ Auction/ Voting on new Club officers. (Make 2 wood items to bring – one as gift and one for auction). Contact Rick Anderson to let him know if you are coming and to find out what food to bring.
• February 2018: FL State Fair (February 8-19, 2018) To enter woodworking projects – Registration must be received by January 5, 2018. For registration- go to their website at http://www.floridastatefair.com/p/about/404 . It has the “Family Living Competitive Exhibits” handbooks and registration forms for a variety of categories. Scroll down until you come to the category appropriate for your work (i.e. – hobby crafts, fine handcrafted furniture, woodcarving (includes pyrography), or wood turning). Fill out the registration form and send it in along with the small registration fee. Contact John Darovec for more information.
• Other upcoming events – Wood Working Show in Tampa (March), Sarasota County Fair (March), Spring Picnic & 2X4 Contest (April)
Show and Tell:
John Peasley – 2 intarsia pictures: Lion and Girl
Ed Colombo – Tic Tac Toe board
Mike Swart – Teddy Bear keepsake box
Terry Bair – Cremation boxes and Gorilla glue information
Mike Dummett – Mystery tool (carving guide?)
Joe Mathis – Intarsia: Puppy in a Basket (Demo too)
Denny Wetter – Bowl segmented (maple & walnut)
Fred Damianos – Cedar box
Next Month’s Meeting –November 8, 2017 at 7:00 p.m. at Advantage Lumber.