Here are some pictures of George Norton’s demonstration of making a wooden chandelier.
Florida Westcoast Woodworkers Club
Meeting – November 8, 2017
Rick Anderson, Club Vice-President, started the meeting at 7:00 pm. He welcomed everyone and asked for those that were first time guests to introduce themselves. There were 51 people present, 46 members, one visitor and four first time guests (David Truhan, Matt Blondell, Jean-Marc Boucher and David Finley), at this month’s meeting.
Joe Mannke is ill and we wish him a speedy recovery.
“Intarsia – Part 2 (Creating Intarsia Works of Art)”: Presented by Joe Mathis, intarsia and scroll saw artist. He discussed the different techniques used in creating intarsia and showed us some examples.
Demonstration Meet, (Monday) Nov. 13, 7:00 pm – Held at Tony D’Alberto’s home (6820 Anchor Way, Sarasota: Gulfgate). The presentation will be by George Norton on the laminating process to build a chandelier. Bring a chair.
Shop Meet (Monday, November 20), 7:00 pm – Held at Tom Tengen’s home (4941 Tobermory Way, Lakewood Ranch, FL). Bring a chair.
A reminder –
• Club DVD library – see Terry Bair to check out any informational and/or how-to DVDs.
• Club shirts for sale – see Tony D’Alberto
• Happy Hour – 6 to 7 p.m. is a time to socialize and purchase that special piece of wood from Advantage Lumber.
– Voting for New Club Officers takes place in December. We have nominations for the positions of Vice-president (John Peasley) and Secretary (Andy DiLorenzo).
• December 13, 2017, 6:00 pm: HOLIDAY Dinner Party/ Auction/ Voting on new Club officers. (Make 2 wood items to bring – one as gift and one for auction). Contact Rick Anderson to let him know if you are coming and to find out what food to bring.
• Wood Working Show, January 26-28, 2018 in Tampa – Contact Al Brown if you would like to volunteer to work our display and for more information.
• February 2018: FL State Fair (February 8-19, 2018) To enter woodworking projects – Registration must be received by January 5, 2018. For registration- go to their website at http://www.floridastatefair.com/p/about/404 . Contact John Darovec for more information.
• Other upcoming events – Sarasota County Fair (March), Spring Picnic & 2X4 Contest (April)
Potential Future Club Activities
When the club’s Board met on Friday November 3, much of the agenda involved options the club may want to explore that are now possible due to the considerable balance in the club’s bank account. This includes
• Scholarships for tuition of members at woodworking programs and/or schools
• Operate club workshop, potentially using a second hand portable classroom
• Contribution(s) toward community charities
• Operation of hands-on woodworking training for disabled children
During the board meeting, John Philips requested an opportunity to explain to the members how the club could help train disabled youth in the fundamentals of woodworking.
During the meeting on November 8th, John Philips presented information about a possible volunteer opportunity with the Easterseals organization in Sarasota, teaching woodworking skills to four youth that are disabled. Eight volunteers would be needed for a 10-week course. Easterseals would also have one of their instructors assisting us. Barry Taylor, a teacher with Sarasota County schools, has in the past worked with children and youth that are disabled. He provided us with some information about working with youth that are disabled and how important and rewarding it is.
Other volunteer/charity ideas will be presented to the club at future meetings so that the club can determine which one or ones it would like to vote on and pursue.
Show and Tell:
Mike Swart – Coffee wood Night Stands (showed photos)
Terry Bair – Scroll saw work: Osprey, watchful eye deer and Christmas ornaments
Denny Wetter – 3 Bowls segmented (maple & walnut)
John Philips – Oak flag case, Cedar clock and 2 boxes
Thelma Proctor – woodburning: picture of birdhouse w/birds
Next Month’s Meeting (HOLIDAY Dinner Party) – December 13, 2017 at 6:00 p.m. at Advantage Lumber.